Monday, October 13, 2008

Spiders & Ghosts & ????


Those are the things going bump in the night at our house. Ty recently has been having nightmares about...you guessed it! Spiders and Ghosts!


A few weeks ago I awoke to terrible cries and screaming coming from the boys room. I stumble in to hear Ty screaming "spiders get cho, spiders get Ty...on and on..." Well, he usually he sleeps with many a things and at this point he was sleeping with a whole box of little animals, dinosaurs, bugs with the occasional spider. Well being the great mom I am at 2am I thought he was screaming because he wanted the spiders. So I managed to find them by feeling around in the box handling all the critters til "ah ha" I found the spider. So I am already patting myself on the back because I found the spider in a box full of critters in the dark!!! (Way to go me!!) Then I hand it to him and he FREAKS OUT! Yelling about spiders getting him and crawling into the corner shaking! Now I am thinking... "not so good momma". I sat with him for I am sure hours (time goes by slowly when you are half asleep in the middle of the night!) trying to calm him down and tell him that the spider is a toy and that it is in fact "Ty's toy". So I listened to him repeat over and over...here is a tidbit of our conversation.

T: Ty's toy?

M: Yes it is Ty's toy. Spider is just a toy.

T: Ty's toy pider?

M: Yes it is your toy spider. Go to sleep now.

T: Mom, Ty's toy pider? (repeated oh 1000 times)


So I finally slip away and get back to my bed. I lay there and realize that he must have had a nightmare because while we were outside that day we saw a spider in a toy truck. Okay I think, crisis has been resolved...drifting off to sleep...then SCREAMING!!! And we repeat all that was mentioned before. This went on for umm...ALL night! The next morning the other 2 were warned not to mention spiders!!! I think this lasted for awhile. We didn't repeat a horrible night again until....LAST NIGHT!


Last night I awoke to screaming about Ghosts! This time I knew what to do and I was able to calm him quicker! Our conversation last night? Well it went a little like this:

T: Ghost get me?

M: No ghosts. They aren't real.

T: No more ghosts?

M: No more ghosts.

T: Whale get ghost?

M: Whale gets the ghost.

T: Whale bites ghost?

M: (trying not to laugh) Yes whale bites the ghost.

T: (he is smiling now) Shark bites ghost?

M: I repeat.


So he continues to name off many-a ocean critter that would bite the ghost. So I sufficiently calm and he gives kisses and says "goo-ni momma" and I retreat back to my bed to sleep for the rest of the...well I might have just gotten 20 mins and the the cycle began all over again. We did this 3 times and then I just decided that it wasn't so bad to have him come and sleep with us...at least we will all sleep right? All was quiet. The great thing about this is that Andrew wants to be a ghost for Halloween! So maybe our sleepless night caused by nightmares about ghosts is in a "to be continued" status!

7 comments:

jenafeldman said...

I love the part where you pass him the "pider". Do you hear me laughing as I fall out of my chair in giggles. This means we are in a dead heat for the the mom award this year ; )

Rebecca said...

What a funny story! I'm even scared of piders sometimes.

Melissa and Dave said...

Poor little guy! Jackson had a scary dream about skeletons the other night. He woke up crying about all the scaries in his room.

I felt really bad because for the first few minutes of him crying I thought he was just trying to get out of going to bed, but then when I went in there he said "Mom! I was calling for you because I was scared and you didn't come...oops!

Heidi Rushing said...

Maybe you should not take him trick-or-treating this year! Hey, maybe you could bring him over to watch Monster House with the boys and me next weekend!

Stacey said...

He'll get such a kick out of reading this a few years from now...I'm sad I haven't written down all the funny things like this that my kids have said.

Steph said...

Nightmares are the worst! At least it makes for a funny story. The next day, not while you're in the middle of it!

BairFamily said...

Julie! I forgot your last name and didn't realize that you were listed on Jamie's blog the whole time! Your family is adorable and so grown. Thanks for stopping by my blog and yes we'll have to plan a get together when in Utah. Lani:)