Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Finding familiar in an UN-familiar place

Well we knew eventually that our road trip would end! And it did on July 7th. We arrived in D.C. and it was good to finally get to our destination. Since May 25th we have been on a dot to dot across the USA. Visiting friends and relatives along the way. We really had a blast and were surprised that it was a really amazing trip. The kids had so much fun visiting with Grandparents and cousins and getting to see where Dad grew up!
Now we are settled in temporary housing until we make our final move into our home for the next 2 years. We currently are residing in downtown D.C. right between DuPont Circle and George Washington University. It really is an amazing feeling being here. We drive across the Arlington Memorial Bridge quite a lot and we see the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Memorial everyday. We have yet to ride the Metro but I am sure that will be in the near future!
Today (or I guess yesterday since I am writing this at 5am...couldn't sleep so why not blog!) was a big day for everyone. Shane started work and I navigated my way around the D.C. area in the car! Driving here is a bit scary! We have a GPS system (a must) but sometimes the roads are tricky and so many stinkin' round-abouts with multiple lanes, lights, exits, etc. that finding a place can take quite a few "recalculating" responses from the sweet lady on my GPS!
So the kids and I set out to find a grocery/general merchandise store...kinda like the Super Wal-Mart that is just down the road from where we used to live in WA. Well no Super Wal-Mart in the D.C. area (thanks to Kiki for checking for me) but I did find a Target that had a Fresh Market! So off we went!
I think I navigated the streets pretty well. Recalculated a few times but I was always redirected and eventually I saw that familiar red TARGET sign! As I walked in with my 3 kids and a big huge belly I felt like I could really pull this off! Hey if I can find Target I can do anything right!?
As I walked the aisles of Target I got this overwhelming feeling of security and peace! I was home! It was amazing! I loved every minute there and relished in the joys of feeling like I belonged...well kinda. Me and my 3 kids & 1 on the way stick out just a bit. "which one of these is not like the other...) I have a blinking arrow pointing right at me!
So whenever I get homesick I know I can walk the aisles of Target and find peace! I may need to go weekly...daily...multiple times...until I get the swing of east coast livin'!
Tomorrows agenda...take 3 kids to a lap pool in the building while everyone else is hard at work! I am pretty sure they are the only kids here! (I am also pretty sure that this pool is not intended to entertain 3 water lovin' kids but...)
So wish us luck on our next adventure!

8 comments:

Tamara said...

So glad you are there safely! Roadtripping across the US was fascinating for us, too. You'll find friends, and adapt, I promise, but you will miss what you left behind, too. And thank heaven for TARGET!

Dannielle said...

You are so funny - glad you found Target. Have fun on your new adventure and congratulations on #4

Nicole Jackson said...

What a fun post that involves one of my favorite places, Target!!! I'm excited and a little jealous of your 2 year adventure you guys are on! Good luck with everything and I guess that should include driving???:)

Steph said...

You are SOOOO brave! I have never driven in downtown and I hope I never have to. My mom used to drive all the time, though, so if I lived there as a mom, maybe I would.

Enjoy DC, it is a great place with awesome history. And thank heavens for the familiar in the UN familiar.

Chelsea said...

wow, had no idea you guys were moving! I am proud of you for maintaining your sanity through it all. Oh, and I love target too! Can't wait to hear more about your new place.

cjdustin said...

Good Job julie! What would we do without Target??? I am glad you made it safely and know you will have a great experience.

Meggan said...

I knew we were bound to be great friends when I read this post. Target is my most Fav place to meander when I need somewhere to run to after bedtime to just get out of the house for a minute. Heaven that store. Such cuteness. Such clearance. Couldn't ask for more. Glad ya'll made it safe. Thanks for stopping by to say, Hi. It was fun to meet your cute kids. Good luck in DC...

Lindsay Blain said...

Hey there! So glad to find your blog!! I can TOTALLY relate to having anxiety about unfamiliar driving. I loved that picture you painted of your Target experience...haha. You are hilarious! DC is lucky to have y'all! I'm so glad we got to meet you & your incredible kids! I just loved y'all from the start! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures! :)